Women Trauma Survivors Programme
These programmes help women to overcome past trauma and promote emotional growth and reparation in an emotionally supportive environment. They also empower women to become self-reliant in order to make informed decisions about their choices, evaluate their choices, and take responsibility for their choices.
These statistics tell a dismal tale of abuse against women in South Africa. Often, abused women turn inward, put up a hard exterior and try to move on from their experiences, but are often afraid to open their hearts to trust and to truly move on. Counselling for abused women addresses their need to be supported in their healing process as they develop skills and learn to become autonomous in society. Through this therapeutic process, the women become vital role-models to others in their communities. The Equinox empowerment programme is focused on supporting these women through their healing process. The learning is communicated through the horses non-judgmentally and, as abused women often struggle with trust, working with a horse allows them the space to learn to trust again and to develop a healthy relationship with another being, which can then be translated into other relationships in their lives.
- To provide women with an opportunity to address past trauma through a therapeutic and skills-based experiential model
- To promote emotional growth and reparation in an emotionally supportive environment
- To provide learning opportunities through a non-judgmental and experiential process
- To empower women to become self-reliant in order to make informed decisions about their choices, evaluate their choices, and take responsibility for their choices
- Improve verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Improve problem-solving skills
- Increase assertiveness
- Improve self-esteem by helping them to feel good about themselves, develop their self-worth and increase their level of self-confidence
- Strengthen and develop their ability to trust in themselves and others
- Develop a healthier understanding of interpersonal relationships
- Increase self-awareness and personal insights
- Eight weekly 1-hour session
- 6 participants